Support for poor Queenslanders during the Christmas period

Homeless Person

Queenslanders experiencing financial or emotional hardship, or housing stress, are being encouraged to reach out, talk to their friends and family and to seek assistance from support services over the Christmas and New Year period.

Minister for Communities and Housing Leeanne Enoch said the festive season could be a challenging time for many people, particularly those experiencing financial challenges, those who may be feeling lonely or socially isolated, and experiencing housing stress or homelessness.

“In the lead up to Christmas, Queenslanders can seek support from their local neighbourhood or community centre, which may be able to assist them with information, services and referrals to other support services,” Ms Enoch said.

“Many neighbourhood and community centres can provide emergency relief in the lead up to Christmas, including food, vouchers and financial assistance.

“I also encourage people who are doing it tough financially not to go to predatory payday lenders.

“Our Good Money Stores in Cairns and Southport can provide financial counselling and assist people doing it tough by accessing the No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS).

“Housing Service Centres across Queensland will be open until Christmas Eve for people experiencing housing stress or homelessness in the lead up to Christmas.

“There are also a range of Qld Government-funded housing and homelessness services that can provide support over the Christmas period.

“Talking to family and friends over the Christmas break and seeking support from those closest to you is also a good way to stay connected especially if you’re feeling lonely or socially isolated.”

While neighbourhood and community centres will close between Christmas and new year, there is support available from organisations such as St Vincent de Paul Society and Lifeline.

Housing Service Centres will reopen on Tuesday 4 January 2022.

While these service centres are closed, contact details for other support services have been posted at the entrances and other prominent locations for people.

Where you can go to seek support:

  • Lifeline – Phone or text 13 11 14
  • St Vincent de Paul Society – Phone 1800 846 643
  • Urgent housing support – Phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
  • Homelessness Hotline – Phone 1800 474 753
  • Emergency maintenance for public housing tenants – Phone 1800 808 107
  • Domestic and Family Violence Help
    • DV Connect Women’s line – phone 1800 811 811
    • DV Connect Mensline - phone 1800 600 636

Queenslanders are also encouraged to using the following options:

  • Tenant Assist Qld app (for public housing tenants to check rental balances and update contact details)
  • Housing Assist Qld app (Apply for or check your Bond Loan calculator or find out about housing)
  • Self-service online at

Minister for Communities and Housing, Minister for Digital Economy and Minister for the Arts. The Honourable Leeanne Enoch
Queensland Government

Comments :