NSW Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA) $50 vouchers

NSW Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA) $50 vouchers

If you're having difficulty paying your current household energy bill because of a short-term financial crisis or emergencies, such as unexpected medical bills, or reduced income due to COVID-19, you could be eligible for Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA) $50 vouchers.

EAPA vouchers are sent electronically to your energy retailer to help pay your home electricity or gas account. 

EAPA voucher limits apply and vouchers can't be used to put your energy account into credit or if your account has already been paid.

You can apply for EAPA vouchers:

  • online (this involves an eligibility assessment by an NSW Government representative), or
  • by calling (and being assessed by) an approved non-government EAPA provider, such as Anglicare, Salvation Army and Wesley Mission.

Note: Due to very high interest in EAPA vouchers, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to be contacted about your online application. Contacting an EAPA provider may be more suitable, if you:

  • require an urgent assessment
  • prefer an in-person assessment (offered by some providers)
  • don’t have an email address
  • need other support, such as no-interest loans, financial counselling, and clothing or food assistance. 


You must:

  • have an electricity or natural gas account for a NSW residential address, which is your primary place of residence  
  • be the electricity or natural gas account holder (your account and bill must be in your name)
  • be experiencing a short-term financial crisis or emergency that has caused you financial hardship and impacted your ability to pay your current residential energy bill (in part or in full). 

You're not eligible if you:

  • use liquid petroleum gas (LPG) bottles for your gas supply; however, you may be eligible for a gas rebate
  • are residing in embedded networks (e.g. some strata plans, retirement villages and residential parks)
  • have already paid your energy bill
  • have a business account
  • are not the account holder and the bill is in another person’s name. 

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account 
  • 2 proof of identity documents – the names on the 2 documents must match and also match the name on the supply address on the electricity or natural gas account
  • your personal and contact details (name, date of birth, address, email and phone number)
  • a copy of your current electricity and/or gas bill, which includes your:
    • first and last name (your account and bill must be in your name) 
    • energy retailer's name
    • energy account number
    • National Meter Identifier (NMI) number for electricity bills, or
    • Delivery Point Identifier (DPI)/Meter Installation Registration Number (MIRN) for gas bills
  • confirmation that you're on a hardship plan with your retailer (if applicable)
  • evidence of financial crisis, such as a termination notice or medical expenses (optional). 

  • If you are applying for EAPA vouchers, call your energy retailer to advise them of your EAPA application and expected timeframes. You can also ask about what assistance might be available to you, including different options to pay your bill, switching energy plans or starting a hardship plan.
  • For ongoing support, see our Cost of Living page for a list of energy rebates and other savings. 
  • Source: © State of New South Wales (Service NSW) 2016

Comments :